- Dun is a gene that presents as a dorsal stripe on a ketucari, along with thin bands and stripes on the face, shoulders, paws, and tail, and matching fade of the points.
- In your ketucari’s genotype, dun is represented by “nDu” (heterozygous) or “DuDu” (homozygous)
- In its heterozygous form, shatter has a passrate of 60%. Homozygous shatter has a passrate of 85%.
Color and Shape
Dun is a thin stripe and series of bands along the spine, frill, and tail of a ketucari. It also comprises of thin stripes on the face, shoulders, tail, and legs of a ketucari.
The "Dun family" base coat modifiers my present this gene without it being present.
When Striping, Lacing, or Brindle are present, Dun's non-dorsal stripes may adopt their appearence and coloration.
The dorsal stripe is a continuous stripe that, if present at all, must present at least between the shoulders and tail of the ketucari. Presentation on or under the frill, or on the tail, is optional.
The version of this gene that comes from modified base coats must be darker than the base coat, while the full marking may be lighter or darker than the base coat and can be white.
All forms of the dun stripe are optional on modified base coats.
When the Dun Gene is present, it must at minimum present as either the dorsal stripe, or as banding in at least three spots.
The non-modifier version of Dun may also have a very small "fade" at the points of extremeties. This fade should be the same color as the dun stripes and must have a soft edge. If this point fade is present alongside Hued Points, Dusky Points, Washout, Pangare, Tarpit, Void, Mud, or Dusted, both the fade AND any point stripes must present over those genes and be visually distinct from them.
Dun Point Stripes may appear in the following areas in addition to or regardless of the presence of a dorsal stripe. They may be a slightly different color from the dorsal stripe (such as on Milka)
Dun's point fades may appear in these areas but only if either the dorsal stripe OR the point stripes are also present in the design. They must match the color of the dorsal stripe if present.
Interaction with Other Markings
- Vapor, Inferno, Morpho, Segment, Colorize, and Radiance can all restrict to Dun.
- When appearing on a modified basecoat, the dun stripe in question can optionally fade between being lighter than and darker than the base coat. If the points fade is used on these design, the color of the fade must match the color of the dun bands.
- Dun can have a slight gradient
- Dun can fade into the base coat